Well, well ,well it’s actually happened. Today I turn 40!
I have to say that I am embracing it with a whole lot more grace and enthusiasm than my twenty something year old self would have ever believed.
I’m using this milestone as a time to reflect on what I’ve achieved and where I’m at in my life right now. To be honest, I’m pretty bloody chuffed!
I’ve even come up with a list of 10 things that I think are fully fab about being 40.
- I actually made it to 40. A lot of people aren’t afforded the privilege.
- I’m so much more confident about who I am, I’m not worried about what others think – I’m pretty cool in my book!
- I don’t feel pressure to wear the latest trends, I’ll wear whatever I’m comfortable in.
- I’m fitter and healthier than I’ve EVER been.
- The pressure is OFF! I’ve been married, had a child and bought my own home. I have no ticking clocks and no one is expecting me to do anything.
- My closest friends are people that I’ve now been friends with for 15-20 years. I’m proud that I’ve maintained such great relationships for such a length of time.
- My daughter is now 12 and she is beautiful and caring and is not just my daughter but she is becoming one of my best friends.
- I’ve created an awesome work/life balance with a part time job at a place that I love as well as starting my own business. I actually believe it when people say it doesn’t feel like work when you love what you do because I’m living it!
- People ask me for advice. They acknowledge my years of experience and listen to what I have to say. I have a greater influence over what happens around me.
- I still feel like a big kid, just one that knows how to look after herself.
I’ve had so many adventures in the first 40 years that it makes me excited to think about what adventures I’m going to have in the next 40.
Age is but a number and life is for living.
Tonight I’m going to celebrate with a family dinner and tomorrow night I’m going to go out and party like it’s 1999. On Saturday I may well feel like I entered a time warp and gained another 10 years but the great thing is I have the experience to know that will pass and I’ll get back to feeling fab at 40 within a day.. or three.
So here’s cheers to turning 40!